Friday, November 2, 2012

National Game Design Month! Also, I'm Bad At Updates!

Really, was my last post in August? Man, I'm really bad at updates. No wonder I only have five followers.

Hello, people!

For the last bunch of years, I felt sort of bad that I never had enough motivation to finish a NaNoWriMo project. Things always got in the way, I ran out of steam, I'd find something else to amuse me, blah, blah, blah. Yet, this year, I hear about National Game Design Month (http://nagademon.com/).

Okay, this I can get behind.

Do I believe I have enough motivation to take a game from inception to finished product in a month? Sure! Will my game be fun? Possibly! Will it be commercially appealing? Probably not! But hey, what do you want in a month?

The game is a miniatures-based skirmish game, set in a gladiatorial arena. Its inspired by a post I saw on Google+ about an old gladiator wargame designed to fit in a cookie tin. I've been twisting ideas around in my mond for a while after that, and jotted down some ideas. Now, I'm ready to make it happen.

The mechanics are coming pretty easy. I'm using a simple matrix comparing an active and resisting stat for each opponent. The matrix will provide a target numberm which has to be beaten on a single die roll. Die result gives the character result. I'll see how that works out.

I've found the biggest problem so far is in deciding the tone of the game. A gladiatorial game can be pretty grim, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. I'm thinking something a little more farcical. We'll see what heppens when pen gets to paper again.

For artwork, I'm thinking all pen and ink sketches. Give it an old-school wargame-in-a-ziploc-bag feel.

So, I'm off to work on it. Tell your friends to follow my progress, if only to point and laugh.

No comments: